1) Why is it so important to us (the reader) that the handkerchief was folded & placed by itself?
2) Why two angels on the second look inside the tomb by Mary?
3) Why didn’t Mary recognize Jesus?
4) Why do you think Jesus says to Mary “Do not cling to me….?
5) “Peace be with you” Why was that such a powerful and important statement?
6) “Peace to you! As the Father has sent Me, I also send you.” What might this mean and was this directed just at the disciples?
7) “If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any they are retained.” What might one think was the meaning behind this statement Jesus made? Also who?
8) Why was Thomas so different? Is there something which we might learn from this?
9) What are we learning about John here?
10) Is there anything specifically for you in this chapter?
1) They willed now that He should die, but what He was and what they hated would never die? Who are they? What was it that they hated?
2) In verse 26-27 Jesus shows TLC for His family and friends. How?
3) In verse 29 Jesus is given sour wine which fulfills prophecy. After fulfilling prophecy, what did Jesus not do which He could of and why?
4) Why is it so profound?
5) How do you think “It is finished” relates to “It is done” in Then Revelation to St. John?
6) Imagine if you can how Mary (the mother of Jesus) felt as she stood before the cross?
7) Why is it so important for John to prove the certainty of Jesus’ death?
8) What drew Nicodemus and Joseph together?
9) How can\could you explain the necessity of the crucifixion to an unbelieving person?
10) In verse 30, He says “it is finished” what is it?
1) Why did Pilate have Jesus flogged?
2) Why was Pilate afraid?
3) What is the greater sin and who did it belong to?
4) What are the sufferings or humiliations that Jesu went through?
5) In verse 15, why does the chief priest say what they do?
7) From what you have read in 18:28-19:16, what kind of man is Pilate?
8) Can you compare the threats towards Pilate and the threats towards Christians today?
6) What is their true motivation?
Chapter 19 17-42
1) Who and why Verse 28?
2) Was the Roman trial by Pilate accurate to their laws?
3) Was there anything missing in finding the verdict?
4) Today when we “Christians” reach a verdict about something or someone, is it possible that we do it the same way?
5) What is Pilate trying to tell Jesus when he said, “What is the truth”?
6) Supposing you were standing in the room with Pilate during the trial and did not know what you do now (i.e. The Future). What kind of outline would you have put together for a news article?
1) Knowing Jesus the way Judas did, why did he have the soldiers bring weapons?
2) How do you explain the reactions of the soldiers after hearing “IamHe”?
3) Why do you think Peter reacted the way he did?
4) How many times do we try to do what Peter tried to do?
5) As we saw in John 13:6, Peter is troubled. Again here in John 18: 15-27 Is this the same type of troubling? Explain?
6) Where does Jesus answer the question of the unwitting prophet?
7) Is/Are there (a) tense situation (s) which you are going through now? Do you feel that you can handle it on your own? Could you use the help of your friends? What would it mean to trust Jesus completer in this/these matters?
1) In verse 4, what exactly is the “work”?
2) As humans we have had at times in our lives a problem which Jesus clearly states here He does not have. What is it?
3) What is Jesus say to His Father about the disciples in verse 8?
4) As Christians, why do we need verse 11?
5) Why do we as Christians need to be so thankful for in verse 20?
6) What does Jesus ask His Father and declare that we should have?
7) When Jesus prayed this prayer it was aloud by voice not by thought so He could bring assurance and comfort to His disciples. As we read this chapter how do we feel?
1) In verse 36 of John 13, Peter had asked but then changed the subject. But none in verse 5
2) Using verse 9-11 Jesus explains verse 8. Can you expound on it further?
3) What is the main thing that the Spirit of Truth does not do?
4) In verse 16, the second part; is that after the stone rolled back, the arrival of the Spirit
of Truth or the second coming of the Lord Jesus Christ?
5) How do you think the disciples felt about the transition which they were going through in
6) What is Jesus trying to tell them in verse 32?
7) What are the biggest promises which you see in this chapter made by Jesus?
1) Jesus says He is the True Vine, what does that mean?
2) What are the branches which Jesus speaks of in verse 2?
3) In verses 4-6 what is Jesus saying?
4) What does Jesus want you to know and do in verse 7?
5) Why do Christians need to understand the meaning behind in verse 11?
6) Imagine being there when Jesus said that you were now called friend not servant. What changes in you would there be and how would you express your feelings?
7) In verse 16, Jesus said ‘You did not choose Me’ why is that so profound?
8) If you took verse 22 and formed it into a question would verse 24 be the answer?
9) Verse 27, what does Jesus mean by ‘being with Me from the beginning’?
1) What is Jesus trying to convey and & teach in verse 1 of John 14?
2) How did you feel the first time you read John 14:2?
3) In verse 16 ‘The Father…will give you’ what do you sense in that?
4) What will He give you and why?
5) Through the Spirit of Truth does one and one equal three?
6) Verse 18?
7) What do you believe He is meaning in verse 20?
8) How do verses 14:31, 23 21, 15 & 13:34 compare to one another?
9) What do they stress?
10) In verse 27 what are the differences?
11) Also what is He asking?
12) Why does Jesus state differently in 14:28 and 10:30 “My Father is greater than I”?
13) Why is there nothing in Jesus from the ruler of the world?
1) What was Jesus trying to teach His disciples when He took a towel and washed their feet?
2) Why was it different than when one’s feet were normally washed?
3) Why did Peter object in verse 8?
4) Why did Jesus continue even after Peter’s objection?
5) Why is verse 20 so profound?
6) Verse 34 ‘A new commandment I give to you” was it? (Hint Lev 19:18)
7) In verse 17 what two statements are made?
8) Why are they important?
9) Do you need both to follow Jesus?
10) How do the disciples interpret what Jesus’s says in vers21?
11) What was the catalyst that caused Jesus to make the statement in verse 31?