In the Book of John, John portrays Jesus in His deity as the Son of God. John’s purpose is clear; to set forth Christ in His deity in order to spark believing in faith to his readers. John’s gospel is topical not chronological it revolves around seven miracles and seven “I am” statements of Christ.
The key thought of the book is to believe that Jesus is the Son of God.
According to my bible (The NKJV Open Bible Study Edition copyright 1992 by Thomas Nelson inc.) the Book of John is broken into five (5) parts.
1) Focus is on the Incarnation of the Son of God 1:1-18. The introduction to Christ.
2) Focus is on the Presentation of the Son of God 1:19- 4:54. The Revelation of Christ.
3) Focus is on the Opposition to the Son of God 5:1-12:50. The Rejection of Christ.
4) Focus on the Preparation of the Disciples 13:1-17:26. The Revelation of Christ.
5) Focus on the Crucifixion and Resurrection of the Son of God 18:1-21:25. The Rejection of Christ.